National Independent Review Panel
What we do
We work to complete reviews when we are commissioned by the HSE’s National Clinical Director, Quality Patient Safety Directorate and a level of independence is required. This is usually ‘Category 1 incidents’, where a very high level of independence is required.
Here are some examples of the work we do:
- Conduct independent reviews across community health and social care where there are major concerns about how the services involved managed the care of an individual or group of individuals.
- Review cases where it is suspected that there are serious failings that have led to significant harm or have compromised quality of life.
- Determine what the relevant services and individuals involved in the case might have done differently.
- Produce an annual report and aggregate analysis of the cases investigated to ensure that learning can be shared nationally.
- Report on the findings, conclusions and key recommendations on each review to the Chairperson of the HSE’s Safety and Quality Committee.
Ms Joanne Haffey, National Quality and Patient Safety Directorate