Our vision for patient safety is that all patients using health and social care services will consistently receive the safest care possible.
What we do
We work in partnership with HSE operations, patient partners and other internal and external partners to improve patient safety and the quality of care. Our work is guided by the Patient Safety Strategy 2019-2024 (PDF, 30 pages, 0.6MB).
Here are some examples of the work we do by:
- Building quality and patient safety capacity and capability in practice.
- Using data to inform improvements.
- Developing and monitoring the incident management framework and open disclosure policy and guidance.
- Providing a platform for sharing and learning.
- Reducing common causes of harm.
- Enabling safe systems of care and sustainable improvements.
Introducing the National Quality and Patient Safety Directorate
Introduction from National Clinical Director, Orla Healy, to the Quality and Patient Safety Directorate
The Directorate is made up of the following teams:
- QPS Improvement - using improvement methodologies to address common causes of harm.
- QPS Intelligence - using data to inform improvements in quality and patient safety.
- QPS Incident Management - working with people to identify, understand and share safety learning, advocate for open disclosure and develop the national incident management system in the HSE.
- QPS Education - enabling QPS capacity and capability in practice.
- QPS Connect - communicating, sharing learning, making connections.
- National Centre for Clinical Audit - supporting Clinical Audit service providers locally and nationally
- National Independent Review Panel (NIRP)